Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Ombré, anyone?



A few weeks ago I decided to try out a cute ombre manicure set from Quo by Orly I found at Shopper's Drug Mart.  I love my location (I'm not telling where!) because they put new nail polish on the clearance shelf almost every day.

Definition time: An ombre manicure.  Five shades of the same colour painted in their entirety, one per nail, from darkest to lightest.  Or lightest to darkest.  Live it up.  This is not to be confused with a gradient manicure, wherein each nail fades light to dark.  Still don't get it? Here's the best explanation (complete with pictures) from someone who seems to appreciate accuracy in terminology as much as I do! 
Click here!

I loved the colours in this baby.  The thumb looks white in that picture, but trust me, it's a very pale lavender.  As you can see, I have gone from lightest to darkest starting with my thumb.  I would like to think that the gradation can go in whatever direction your heart desires, but I read on one blog that it must start with the darkest colour on the thumb.  Pfft, you can't tell me what to do!

I would think that for a perfect ombre manicure, one would ideally use a dark polish and a white polish and just mix together.  That way all your colours would be in the same family, tone-, depth-, and finish-wise. You can tell that my middle finger kinda sticks out, super bright! I actually really enjoy it here, though.

Look who took a picture in the sunlight for once!!
The sunlight is less direct, but still there.
The lightest two colours were pretty streaky after two coats, but were practically perfect after three.  I think I did three all over, just to satisfy my OCD on the matter.

Huzzah!


No comments:

Post a Comment